Personal Finance

State pension boost: Could you get extra £2,340? Check now | Personal Finance | Finance

Maximising the amount of state pension someone can get could be vital to improving their retirement prospects. Britons could receive a big state pension boost via Specified Adult Childcare credits.

The credits may be claimed by grandparents, or other family members who have cared for a child under 12, usually while their parent or main carer is working.

In order to get the credits, the child’s parent or main carer must have claimed Child Benefit.

The NI credit attached to the Child Benefit recipient is then transferred to the family member who provided care.

Claims can be backdated all the way to the start of the scheme which started in 2011. This could allow someone to increase their state pension by a massive £2,340.

READ MORE: Cold Weather Payments due this winter – full list of eligible postcodes

Britons may be able to claim Specified Adult Childcare credits if they meet the following criteria:

  • They are a grandparent, or other family member caring for a child under 12
  • They were over 16, and under state pension age when they cared for the child
  • They are ordinarily resident in the United Kingdom, excluding the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man
  • The child’s parent or main carer is entitled to Child Benefit
  • The child’s parent has a qualifying year for National Insurance without needing the class 3 NI credits which they receive through Child Benefit

The applicant and the parent must both sign the application.

This is important because the child’s parent or main carer agree to the application and confirm that:

  • Their relative cared for their child for the period stated
  • They can have the Class 3 NI credit for the period stated.

Source link

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Back to top button